When we think of Stampede – we think pancakes! We also think about thousands of kids in Calgary impacted by food insecurity over the summer and all year long. We’re excited for the return of the Calgary Stampede so we’re bringing back our popular social media campaign, #StackedAgainstHunger
Last summer, with the world locked down and one of Calgary’s most iconic summer festivals canceled, I Can for Kids wanted to help safely share some of the joy of Stampede’s traditional pancake breakfasts, while raising awareness about food insecurity faced by children and their families during COVID-19. We put out “the call” and we were overwhelmed by the warm and inspiring response from many of Calgary’s prominent food bloggers and Instagrammers, who shared posts about their amazing creations, favourite pancake recipes, dishes and inspirations.
While Calgary is now recovering from COVID-19, and life is slowly returning back to “normal”, many children and their families still face hunger and hunger-related issues that have been exacerbated by the pandemic. Though many Calgarians may now be able to share a pancake breakfast with those outside their household, we wanted to, once again, highlight that many Calgarians are unable to take part in this time-honoured tradition.
We’re excited to see Calgary’s pancake creations – bring ’em on! Yahoo! Here are some of the syrup-slathered and mouth-watering posts from last year:
Starting July 12 and throughout Stampede Week, take part in our #StackedAgainstHunger campaign! Here’s how you can help:
- Post a picture of pancakes, a pancake recipe or anything pancake-inspired on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! Be creative!
- Use the hashtags: #StackedAgainstHunger, #childhoodhunger, #makeadifference but please add as many as you wish.
- Tag @icanforkids (Instagram), @icanforkids (Facebook) or @ican4kids (Twitter) in the post.
- Ask your followers to continue the trend and donate to I Can for Kids to help feed hungry kids in Calgary. Encourage your followers to post their own pancake-related posts with the hashtags.
- Feel free to add more to the post, e.g. talk about what pancakes and Stampede mean to you. Recipes are also encouraged – please add if you have a good one!
- And, of course, please donate to icanforkids.ca/donate to help end childhood hunger in Calgary.
I Can for Kids will be sharing all of your posts with these hashtags on our social media accounts. We can’t wait to see what you have to share!
Learn more about who we are and how we’re impacting the lives of hungry children in Calgary, visit www.icanforkids.ca.